Last weekend I tested out a festive classic, making ginger bread. Don’t tell anyone but in my almost 21 years of life I’d never made before! SO, I found the simplest recipe I could and got cracking; they turned out pretty great if I do say so myself. So well in fact I wanted to share the recipe with you guys in time for the weekend and Christmas.
YOU WILL NEED;
For the Ginger Bread
350g Plain Flour
4 tsp Ginger
2tsp Ground Cinnamon
1tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
175g Light Brown Sugar
4-5 tbsp Golden Syrup
1 Medium Egg
For the Icing
200g Icing Sugar
*Plus any sweets you may wish to use as decoration*
STEP BY STEP;
- Pre-heat the oven to 180oC/350oF/ Gas Mark 6 and line two baking trays.
- Put the flour, butter, ginger, cinnamon and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl. Using your fingers rub the ingredients together until it looks like crumbs.
- Add the sugar, egg and syrup to the mixture and combine into a pastry.
- If the dough is too dry and isn’t sticking together, add 1 extra tbsp of golden syrup.
- Flour a surface ad roll out the dough to approx. 1/2 inch thick.
- Using cookie/biscuit cutters cut out your shapes and place onto your lined baking trays. Re-roll your dough and repeat this process until you’ve used it all.
- Bake the ginger bread for 12 – 15 minutes or until golden. (When you take them out of the oven they should still feel soft, as they cool the biscuits will set)
- Allow the ginger bread to cool completely before icing them.
- Whilst they are cooling you can make the icing. Slowly add the water to the icing sugar and mix so it forms a paste; you want the icing to be the same texture as toothpaste. Add more icing sugar or water until you get the right texture.
- Using a piping bag, pipe the icing onto the ginger bread. I would recommend having a look on Pinterest for some decoration inspiration!
DISCLAIMER – icing the ginger bread is not as easy as it seems, I decided to go for the perfectly imperfect look! But that’s all part of baking home made treats. Right?
I hope you give these a go, if you do tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your ginger bread biscuits.
Lots of Love